Friday, March 03, 2006

Serendipity

I was auditioning fabrics and found these. When I am dyeing I always keep a few small pieces of fabric on hand, usually f1/8. When I have finished dyeing a piece of fabric in a tray I will layer one of these small pieces of fabric over the top lightly and where they touch the surface they pick up colour. It was originally to stop the tops drying out too much in the sun (in times past when we had super hot days).


I like the marbly type of effect they give. The pink and green have both been used more than once and I may use them again to give some more multi coloured effects though they can also come up very good on multi dyed fabrics as well. Of course now that I have the pieces of fabric I am not sure what will happen to them next but they are nice to have in the stash and admire every so often. I always enjoy the serendipity of doing something like this - never knowing what to expect because it is never the same each time.

Now that Autumn has come with a crash I must order some more fabric to dye on the few warm days that we will have before winter. The cold days of winter will become my days to do printing and play with the wood cuts that I am hoping to make in class over the next couple of months. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Shirley Goodwin said...

These are nice for when you want subtle colours.