Saturday, February 04, 2006

A bend in the road

I have wanted for a long time to do more art quilts but never know where to start. I have lots of inspiration but never know what to do with it. In the meantime I get off onto making some quilt blocks and soon become totally distracted with something more traditional. At the moment I have about 15 plus quilts sitting around at various stages of completion from needing borders, needing sandwiched and of course needing quilted.

I did have a bit of a think about it all over at 43 things and I will send all the sets of blocks (except for some more "personal" ones away to a quilt orphanage and let someone else have the pleasure of putting them together and sending them away to orphans in Indonesia. That will then clear the deck for me once all the other tops are slowly finished.

This will leave me to dye more fabric (as if I don't have enough), print and otherwise embellish the fabric and then do something with it. I do have a couple of ideas that I will play with, perhaps in smaller sizes first.

And of course I can keep my stash and traditional blocks to my Friday club nights when I can do lots of piecing which I do find peaceful and relaxing just to sit and sew. These can be the bed quilts that I can make for myself and friends. Afterall there are all those cat fabrics, the horse fabrics, the orientals, the greys (what did I have in mind there), all the wonderful batiks and all the other small collections of fabrics.

All that being said I should plan to go and organise the orphanage parcel - it is a very cleansing feeling to pack up blocks that you have had sitting for a long time and feel guilty about not using. And of course an orphan somewhere gets a lovely quilt.

No comments: