Sunday, April 09, 2006

Yesterday's dyeing, today's ironing

I had lots of fun yesterday and it was good to have it dry so quickly last night - how come the regular washing doesn't dry as quickly. I started to iron the fabric this morning - I like the old fashioned way that I grew up with and that is doing it on the table with a woollen blanket and an old sheet. Unfortunately I kept getting help as you can see - great warm spot to sit and still observe the birds outside. I haven't got all my fabric showing, just what has been ironed so far - it is a slow process for some reason.


These pieces below are one of my favourite techniques that I haven't done for a long time. The top two pictures are of small pieces about 12 x 8 that I sit on top of the trays of dyed fabric. They absorb some of the colours in a sort of marbled pattern. I did scrunch down on them at one stage so they are darker than usual but I do like the patterns created. The bottom two fabrics were scrunched in trays and colours slowly spread on with a spoon and left to run for a while before placing other colours on and again left to run. I did this about three times with a final pale colour poured over top to take the whiteness out of the light areas.



Just another picture of the fabric on the table by the iron showing a little of the textures. I love the serendipity of the colours and although I know what colours I used it is amazing how they change in relation to each other.


I'm inspired now to start printing onto my fabrics and doing some discharging. I have a large pile of plainer dyed fabrics that are crying out for some attention - onwards and upwards ! Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all these colours!
I also love the way you call it seendipity. Which is very accurate. The whole process seems to be a nice balance between planning, control and the physics and chemistry of the fabric itself and the dyes.
I wish I could see and touch them

Shirley Goodwin said...

I see your helper is pressing the fabric too! You've made some really nice pieces, Kat.

Dale Anne Potter said...

Lots of GREAT looking pieces there! Great job on the dyeing and I look forward to seeing what you add to them.

Michelle said...

Your fabrics are gorgeous. I love the colors!

Ros Ward said...

I'm really enjoying misty fuse, thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to checking back to see what your doing in the future.
Ros