Monday, April 25, 2005

silk paper and book binding

Had a wonderful day learning how to make silk paper. We used different types of silk, mulberry, tussah and a couple of "natural" looking types - very rustic looking. Oh, and we also used hemp to make paper as well. It was a lot of fun - I particularly liked using the "natural" silks and the hemp to make paper - I am not so sure about the other papers - a bit thin perhaps. I was a little disappointed in the texture that the netting we used imprinted itself on the surface of the paper and made it "matt" and not the glorious shiny texture that I was expecting. We made bowls which was fun - again I think I would use a thicker silk paper than I did but I was pleased with what I made. Used a mixed silk/hemp paper to make a book cover - very basic but gives me an idea to go further. But I particularly liked and enjoyed making moulded silk shapes - I bought a leaf and a cat - they were neat. The leaf particularly will be good to use on my ATCs. And of course I can use snips of my silk paper and beads to decorate ATCs. I figure if I make a leaf a day (well probably most days) then that will give me a good supply for swapping.

I bought a lot of colour packs of silk fibre to make more paper. I will see what moulds Ken has from his scenery moulds that he made for his train layout. They could give me some good textures to use particularly with my ATCs.

I am also enthused to do some more book binding - had an idea for making a book using very heavy thick paper and only one folded sheet per set for coptic binding. It would give lots of scope for decorating and plenty of room if I don't do the binding too tightly. The heavy paper would bind well and give a good base for decorating. I bought an American magazine in stamping and scrapbooking and in it there was a very good idea for a small bound journal that would also be good for using as a decorated book as the binding is very open and there are good gaps between the pages.

So many new ideas, so much to do........

No comments: