Thursday, June 22, 2006

Last Days

I'm heading off tomorrow and although I am planning to keep in touch via internet cafes I am not sure if I will be able to send photos or not so there may be just text entries instead.

It has been so cold over the last couple of weeks - well it is supposed to be winter, but it has been a prolonged cold. We often get nice sunny days after all the snow and frost but there hasn't been much of that lately.

I have been putting out bread for the birds. I save old bread in the freezer and bring it out on cold days. Not the best of shots but this is a group of Wax Eyes feeding - the bread will be gone within the hour. There are Sparrows, Blackbirds and Larks also hanging around but they are shy feeders compared to the Wax Eyes. Around the back of the house the Swallows are doing their aerial aerobatics - they are wintering in by the spa pool which obviously keeps the worst of the cold away for them. Fantails are flitting through the garden looking for insects and driving the cats crazy as always - thankfully they are never caught. And I have seen a large flock of ducks coming in to land down on the pond. The pond is full and the neighbours paddocks are flooded and swampy which they are loving.


I have managed to sew some blocks together for a future quilt. I will leave putting the top together until I get home. I have a mixture of lighter shaded blocks which will shade down to some darker blocks. I have used mainly paua colours again, blues, purples, teals with hints of greens. I am thinking it might be the sort of thing that a Kiwi living abroad might want to remind them of home. Just a couple of piccies of some blocks below to show the variety of colours. Very simple piecing but I thought very effective.


 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely descriptions of the birds.

Deb Hardman said...

Yes , the blocks are pretty. I'm afraid I'm not seeing the birds though. Blogger maybe misplaced a picture?

Elle said...

Like the colors. Where are the birds?