Monday, December 26, 2005

Possum Dancing

Darn that jolly possum. He hops up on the roof and clambers about making a racket - running this way and that - like little possum races around the roof. And then down he comes and into the garden, he particularly loves the Rheus tree but it is too brittle for his weight at the tips and they keep breaking under his weight. I keep hoping that one day he will break his neck. I can't think of any ways of getting rid of him that is safe and doesn't endanger the cats. They are particularly thoughtful of me when we hear the possum on the roof, they all snuggle closely to me to reassure me that they are there keeping me safe. And they are very brave and come outside with me sometimes when we hear the possum and stay very close around my legs to the point where they almost have a peace pact, all to ensure my safety.

The rain over the last fortnight has kept the possum away a lot of nights but I am sure he makes up for lost time racing around the roof on the nights when it is not raining or is a little drier. I don't know what it is about the roof that he does this or is he after the birds and their chicks that nest under the roof that he is trying to get to. Whatever it is I wish it would stop and leave me in peace.

No comments: