Saturday, July 23, 2005

Mystery quilts

I have to select fabrics for a mystery quilt and thought it shouldn't be too difficult even though I know I can procrastinate a lot with making decisions choosing fabrics. The biggest problem turned out that I have so many fat quarters and not much else in the larger pieces (except perhaps for the Hoffman Bali fabrics). And even then everytime I thought that I had found just the right fabric it was only in a FQ - darn it. I was not wanting to buy fabric but to use my stash.

Actually looking through my stash for another project that used FQ it was hard to find say 3-4 co-ordinating fabrics that could be mixed and matched for the project. I seemed to have so many individual fabrics that didn't really go with much else. I must look at finding something to use them in but I don't want to be forever doing scrap type quilts. I suppose if I did something using the same colour family - say a 9 patch or something might be a way of doing it. An idea to work on for the future.

I recently worked on a mystery quilt from the net although I had seen how it turned out. It was still quite amazing to see it finished as it still looked quite different. I really liked the pattern and have come up with a couple of small variations that I want to try out with making another one. Must get on with working on some more UFOs and get some projects crossed off my list. It helped with organising a parcel to send to the UFO Orphanage - I don't feel guilty sending away projects that I do not want to continue with - they will go to good homes.

No comments: