Sunday, May 15, 2005

May Day

I had a creative day playing with textures. We were using furnishing fabrics - all the synthetic ones and after cutting the fabrics up and laying them onto a background we stabilised them with a few stitches and then got out a heat gun and singed them - they really shrunk up and melted to create interesting textures. Something interesting that I want to play with more. They were also using a paper that reacted similiarly to Tyvek - it is normally used to wrap flowers in by a florist - will try to see if I can get some. We also used the same types of fabrics and wrapping them around a satay stick and burning to create beads - they looked quite interesting and were a lot of fun. It was interesting to see how the different fabrics reacted to the intense heat.

I had a bit of a spend as well (as you do). Bought another book on silk paper making which was excellent - it goes before the other book I have in that it has more basics in it for beginners to silk paper making. I bought a small pack of silk in very dark colours and some silk rods. I had seen an article in a magazine that used silk rods that had been sewn together and embroidered - very nice. Bought a mould as well that I want to use with silk and some very nice dyed thread that I have no idea what I will do with it beyond that it appealed to me.

I have also been playing with some ATCs and silk paper that I had cut up. I did a few embroidery stitches on the silk and then glued it to a painted card. They look quite nice but I wondering if they might be too plain for some people. I shouldn't worry about it because the cards are an expression of me.

No comments: