Saturday, May 21, 2005

cruising around

I had a bit of a surf amongst one or two blogs this morning. It is great how someone will mention anothers blog that they enjoyed and so I checked one or two out this way. They are definitely ones that I will check out again. I was good too and let a small note that I had visited - it is nice to know when someone has visited. It made me even more seriously aware that I need to organise myself with regards to doing some photos. I always enjoy others photos - they can be quite inspiring for me and lead me to one or two ideas of my own or they just inspire me to get out and be creative (in any form). One in particular had some freeform embroidery on a background that looked interesting and reminded me that an experimental piece at a recent "play day" wasn't that bad afterall and was really worth trying that technique again. The one good thing about freeform embroidery is that my lack of skill with embroidery doesn't show - the stitches all look as though they were mean't to look so rough and haphazard.

I also enjoy the humour - I am still finding it hard to put words on paper but the more that I write the more my style will improve. One of my biggest problems is the worry of what other people will think of me and that I am not really good enough or as good as "the others". I usually talk myself out of that by saying to myself that I am doing it to please me, it is something that I am enjoying and the more that I do the better I will become. Well that is the theory but on the way I try to make sure that I am enjoying myself and having fun. Life is too short not to have some fun in our daily life.

So I am off today to our local art gallery for a workshop. I am not quite sure what to expect except that we will be creating with fibres in the style of one of the featured artists in the gallery. He had created an amazing large wall hanging with old feed sacks and old garden implements. I am looking forward to doing something totally different and out of my usual comfort zone - this definitely fits the having fun criteria. Will have to report later on what the workshop is like.

No comments: